Thursday, April 26, 2012

Reflections on the mini-vacay...


The hubs and I embarked on a much-needed mini vacation at the beach last Friday through Monday. The first part of 2012 has been a little stressful with health scares and the addition of a 22-year-old to our household (empty nest no more!). Vacations are always a little scary for me, because I am not in total control of my food. I went into this trip with a plan…

Part one of the plan was that I was not going to stress about food, but enjoy it. I made mostly good choices and some not-so-great ones. I drank more than I usually do…something about relaxing on the beach with a cold beer… =)

Part two of the plan was to try to get in some exercise. Walking on the beach is very enjoyable to me. I ended up walking 10 miles over the weekend. I used my CardioTrainer app which gives me audio cues as to my speed and distance. I probably averaged over 3.5 mph for the 10 miles.

Part three of the plan was getting back on track once the vacation was over. We got home on Monday, so Tuesday, it was back to business as usual. I tracked my food, got lots of fruits, veggies, lean protein, and water.  I got back on my normal workout schedule.

I did weigh myself when we got back. I was up around 7 pounds. I did not freak out. I know I did not gain 7 pounds of fat. That would mean I consumed 24,500 calories over my daily needs. This is not very likely, since that would be an extra 6,125 calories a day. Eating out means more sodium, which despite my good water intake definitely led to water retention. Walking is not my normal exercise, so I had DOMS in some of my leg muscles. Now for a couple of TMI reasons… my digestive system never seems to work efficiently on vacation and PMS is upon me. This is why the scale lies.

My old self would have either avoided the scale indefinitely, or weighed and bummed out about it giving myself a week (or month) before getting back on track. That is a slippery slope. I know now that I can go off plan, but that it’s a temporary situation, and I must be committed to getting back on plan as soon as possible.
This morning, I was within about half a pound of last week’s pre-vacay weight, which is solidly within my goal range. I call that a major victory!

As clich├ęd as it is, this is a LIFESTYLE, my friends. We can relax the lifestyle on occasion, but we cannot abandon it completely if our success is to be on-going.

Oh, and I’m 49, but I ROCKED the bikini! 

No comments:

Post a Comment