Saturday, October 23, 2010

I (mostly) ran a 5K!

If you asked me a year ago if I would do a 5K, let alone run one, I would have thought you were insane. 

I don't run. It's never been something I've done. But I passed the local Y the other day and saw that they were having a 5K. I thought, Dave is gone, it might be fun to get out and do something different for exercise. I went into this thinking, I'll just brisk walk it and hope to come in under 50:00. 

When I got there this morning, I almost didn't pick up my chip. I thought that it would just be silly to be timed. I was wearing my HRM and was going to time myself for my own curiosity. But I took the chip. I didn't even know what to do with it... LOL 

I started out running... me! Running! The first little bit was uphill, so I thought I'd run a bit, then walk. But I kept running. When I got tired, I'd slow down and walk, but then I would run again. When I reached the mile 1 marker, I checked my watch... 11 minutes. Wha-what? That spurred me on to keep trying to run as much as I could. 

I was so afraid going into this that I would totally embarrass myself. I signed up on a whim. I did no training whatsoever. The last time I ran at all was at the beach over 2 months ago (maybe for 3 minutes), and that was the first time since high school, probably. But my body responded well. It rewarded my hard work from circuit training and cardio with performing admirably at running. 

I really want to do this again. It felt fantastic. 

Here are the race results: 

133/197 over all 
66/106 female 
5/9 female 45-49 
Time 35:32 
Pace 11:27 

I am so freakin' proud of myself! Am I becoming a emoticon?

1 comment: