Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Am I really this close?

After today's weigh-in, I am less than 2 pounds from my goal of a "healthy" BMI. I put "healthy" in quotes, because even though today I'm still "overweight" by the BMI chart, in reality I am extremely healthy.

Thinking back to October 2009 when all this started, I never dreamed I'd be here today. Sure, I've lost weight before, but I figured with my age it would be much more of a challenge this time. I think then I would have been deliriously happy to end up 15 pounds higher than what I weigh now. But I've been working the plan, and guess what? The plan works.

I haven't talked much about the plan itself, but it's amazingly simple. Other than the few weeks I was on Weight Watchers at the beginning, I haven't spent a dime on the plan. I have not set foot in a gym. What I have done is track my calories within the range SparkPeople suggested for my goals, exercised at home using workout DVD's, (mostly The FIRM), and became active in the SparkPeople community. The support of the community is a huge part of my success. Being able to ask questions, get advice and just whine a little sometimes has been motivating and encouraging and has kept me accountable.

So here I am, on the verge of complete success in phase one of this process. Phase two is going to present its own set of challenges, but it is actually simple too: Keep doing the things I did in phase one.

I'm 47 years old, and have yo-yo'd a bit over the past couple of decades. Even so, I changed my body and my health dramatically these last months. If I can do it, anyone can.

1 comment:

  1. You look great!! You should be so proud of yourself for what you've been able to accomplish!! An inspiration for sure!!

    ReplyDelete