Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Goals and Such

After my last blog entry, I started thinking about goals some more. Where do I go from here? How can I use goals as a tool after I reach my ultimate weight-loss goal, whatever that may be.

So, for now, my weight-loss goal is a "healthy" BMI. That means 6.2 pounds have got to go. I think I can accomplish this by September 30, or at least by my one-year mark of October 19, 2010.

If that is where I want to stay, then I need motivation to stay there. It seems obvious that the motivation is to keep the weight off. Well, as I and millions of other people have learned, that is way easier said than done. This is going to take constant work.

I think one important goal for me is to work towards a 2,000 calorie burn per week from exercise. I usually get that now. I actually probably exceed it slightly if I were to count non-exercise activities like heavy cleaning, etc. The exercise is something that is non-negotiable for maintenance. That is one reason I haven't gone nuts with the exercise to lose the weight. I have been doing what I'm willing to do the rest of my life. I can't expect to hit the magic weight number and then be able to stop doing all the things I did to get there.

The other thing I am struggling with is tracking rigidity. A part of me thinks I need to continue religiously tracking, and another part of me would love a break from the obsession, (as would Dave). I think I will end up somewhere in-between. I want to be able to read my body's hunger signals and eat intuitively. Eat to live, not live to eat, as they say. That will be an experiment that may or may not work. However, I plan to keep close tabs on the scale, so adjustments can be made as necessary.

I didn't do so well on maintenance last go 'round, so I'm very nervous about it this time. Hopefully I have learned from my mistakes.

1 comment:

  1. Maintenance is the hard part for me. I am super bad about getting to my goal, and then the pounds slowly creep back on my backside. Yo-yo should be my middle name! HA!
    Oh, and my poor husband sometimes doesn't get all the shout-outs he deserves, and I know he definitely feels like he has to take the backseat to my obsession with my weight. Then again, he's almost 5'10" and weighs all of a buck thirty. The man's body is a sheer model of efficiency. Makes me want to puke...what was I saying again?
    HAHAH!! Congrats on being so close to your goal!!

    ReplyDelete